When I first wrote about master strings I proposed a function that would help to trim them down and potentially save a lot of memory. However, that method still resulted in a string with a master string one longer than it. Ideally, we’d have no master string at all. Since then, three astute readers chimed in with alternate solutions to the problem. Today I put try all three out to see which method does the best job of cleaning master strings.
Posts Tagged string
Pop quiz: what’s the difference between an
Object and a
Dictionary? If you said “
Dictionary can have non-
String keys”, you bought into a common myth. Today’s article shows the cases where the lowly
Object class will use non-
String keys whether you like it or not. Read on for the details.
I’ve recently been notified of a way to dramatically speed up
for-in loops. I’ve tested this method out and indeed there is a 5x speedup. Employing the technique is also really easy. Unfortunately, the speedup is sometimes an illusion. Read on to learn a little more about
for-in loops and how you could potentially speed yours up by 5x.
AS3 has never had very good support for multi-line strings… until now. Today’s article discusses the proper and improper ways of writing multi-line strings and delves into the bytecode so you really understand what’s going on.
Dealing with XML files can very easily trigger Flash to “leak” memory. Your app may only keep a tiny fraction of the XML file’s contents, but the whole file may stay in memory and never get garbage collected. Today’s article examines how this happens and how you can clean up all that unused memory.
String.charCodeAt is a simple function so you might expect the function call overhead (huge in AS3) to making calling it frequently quite slow. You’d think that there’s no way an
charCodeAt-using AS3 function could beat a built-in
String function like
indexOf. Would you be right? Today’s article examines this special function to see if we might defy conventional wisdom and achieve a performance boost.
Strings and integers sort differently. Unfortunately, this became a problem for me during some recent experiments with Starling. It could be a problem for you too in a variety of situations. Today we’ll look at a workaround I’ve developed to solve this problem, which isn’t nearly as straightforward as you might think.
This week’s article offers another useful utility function:
indexedTrisToString. This function is especially useful when dealing with 3D engines such as those based on
Graphics.drawTriangles. It helps to untangle the complicated indices/vertices format that these API functions require into something much more readable and, therefore, debuggable.